Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Annunciation, part two!

We did it!

Grace got into everything (as always), but we persevered!

This is something I used to do all the time when I was younger. I would take boxes and make 3D scenes of Bible stories. The kids thought this was a GREAT idea and had a blast making their versions of the Annunciation.

I like to remind them that Catholic artwork is like a mystery -- the artists "hide" signs and symbols in their pictures, and you get to guess who the characters are and what is happening. We discussed some of the various symbols usually seen in pictures of the Annunciation, like the dove (Holy Spirit), Gabriel holding a lily (purity), Mary either in prayer or reading, sunlight streaming through the window (conceived Our Lord while remaining a virgin), etc.

Here are the results!


Marie's:


Thomas':


Christopher's:


Kathryn's:


Reilly's:


Sean's:

1 comment:

Jessica Snell said...

This is a beautiful idea. I linked to it on my blog today. It's too late for us this year, but I'm hoping to do this next year!