Thursday, March 04, 2010

Thursday ramblings

I'm sure everyone is just anxious to know if our new Lenten project is working or not.

I'm pleased to say that so far, it's been a great success (thanks for asking!) In fact, Kathryn just came in a minute ago and said, "Mom, it's gorgeous outside! As soon as Reilly and I donate our five minutes, can we go out and play?" I'm hearing words I NEVER thought I'd hear in this house, such as, "Wow! This carpet really needs vacumming! I'll go do that and then I think I'll wipe down a few windows!"

Seriously, I think I'm going to cry...

Cleaning aside, however, what I REALLY want us to learn through all this is the value of little mortifications -- that saying "wait" to ourselves when we're anxious to do whatever is a great way to learn to master our appetites and desires. I keep telling the kids that the day will come when they will be faced with a big temptation -- something that appeals to them on every level, and the counsel on all sides will be to go for it. It is in that moment that all this training will pay off. They will have conditioned themselves, so that it will be easier for them to turn away and say no.

That is my prayer.


In other news, I made those chicken tenders again. WONDERFUL, just like last time... although this time I finally wised up (duh) and cut all the meat at one time, dumped it into the bowl with the batter all at once, and then used a spoon to drop it in the hot oil. Last time I did everything in batches, and spent over an hour and half cooking the darn things, as well as having to wash my hands constantly. Blech. This time it was one mess, one handwashing, and only 40 minutes worth of work to cook up over 4 lbs of chicken. Yippee!

Spending that much time in the kitchen isn't a waste for me. When the kids are otherwise entertained, I use that "alone time" to read. I just finished He Leadeth Me, and am currently reading Mark Shea's trilogy Mary, Mother of the Son. While the style is not as conversational as some of his other books that I've read (Making Senses out of Scripture and By What Authority?), I am enjoying the books greatly. When I'm finished with these I think I'll go back and finish Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth, and then... who knows? Maybe I'll jump into some of the Early Church Fathers again.

So many books, so little time...

2 comments:

Amber said...

Yes indeed, so many books, so little time!

I printed out that chicken recipe but I haven't made it yet. I have menus planned out until Thursday, but maybe I'll make it on Saturday. It certainly sounds good!

And I am thinking about trying something like that around here, but I'm wondering if it will work. My 8 yr old's biggest problem is that she doesn't stop to THINK about anything before she does it - she just goes and goes and goes. I have to keep reining her back and saying, "is there something you should be doing right now?" or "what did I ask you to do after you were done with X?" and then she'll recollect and do it... but after years and years of dealing with this it hasn't gotten much better!! (ARGH!!! *grin*) I'm hesitant to add one more reason to say "what are you supposed to be doing" because I'm sick of saying it already! But obviously this is a huge life skill that she needs to learn because she's going to get herself into a whole huge heap of trouble is she doesn't. *sigh* parenting. It isn't for the faint-hearted, is it. Thanks be to God for all the graces he gives us to get through the day.

My 4 year old would get it and remember to ask what he should do quite quickly, but then there's a lot less a 4 year old can do. But he such a helpful little guy already!

Thanks for posting the update about how it is going in your household, it certainly is encouraging.

Ouiz said...

Amber, I am totally with you on this one! Sometimes it's all I can do to make sure the kids are doing what they are supposed to be doing... it's enough to make me want to cry out in frustration! I keep telling them that I can NOT micromanage the lives of 9 people, and they are going to have to learn to do things on their own, BECAUSE it's the right thing to do, and not because I'm going to be coming behind them and checking up on them. If I spend the day worrying about whether or not 7 kids changed their underwear, brushed their hair and teeth, and all the other various things they just should be doing, I'd go insane! *grin*

I think our project is working because it is a Lenten sacrifice for them... you know, learning to offer up small mortifications out of love for Jesus. I can only hope that by the end of Lent, it becomes a habit for ALL of us, because we ALL need to learn to say no to ourselves!

Thanks for leaving a comment, and I hope it works for your family!!!