Last week was busier than I thought it would be, and... well... real life has to take precedence over blogging. I wanted to get to the computer so many times last week, but was unable to do so.
So here I am -- finally -- in front of the computer long after everyone else in my family fell asleep, and I'm wondering... what on earth do I blog about? Perhaps this is an opportunity to try Jen's 7 Quick Takes idea!
1. Does everyone struggle with clutter (especially children's stuff), or is it just me? My deep desire is for order, and a place for everything, and a home like you would find in magazines. That is just NOT going to happen around here. I am not slovenly, but I find the task of keeping up (and keeping after) the mess-makers around here more than just a bit daunting and discouraging. I take clutter personally. Towels folded improperly make my eyes twitch. Clothes wadded up in drawers (or thrown on the floor of the closet) have brought me to tears on numerous occasions. My kids run for cover when Mom gets... the bag. I grab an industrial-sized garbage bag and just go to town, grabbing everything in sight and throwing it away. You would think after many such runs (a) my children would know that I mean it when I tell them to clean up and (b) we wouldn't have so much stuff laying around, but you'd be wrong on both accounts.
Does this fall under the "cross" category, or am I just bad at my vocation?
2. The cold weather has, unfortunately, brought my archenemies back. Jen has scorpions (God love her... I'd completely freak), I have roaches to deal with. Every now and then one of those huge "palmetto bugs" (to use a nicer term) makes its way into my home. As I was getting ready to go to bed last night, I was walking around the house, checking on the kids and having (what I thought was) a rather nice conversation with the Lord. It ended with...
"Thank You so much for the gift of these children... thank You for the way You provide for us every day... please help me to follow You every single day and DEAR JESUS THAT IS A ROACH!!!"
I stepped on it repeatedly, telling the Lord that I thought they were the most disgusting creatures He ever created and I really would appreciate it if He would just let the thing DIE NOW. I scooped it up, shuddering with revulsion, and flushed it down the toilet.... only to walk out into the hallway and find ANOTHER one on its back. (at least they were dying when I found them... and they weren't ON me....)
3. My dog is insisting on being let outside. This makes me sad, because then I will have to deal with the cat, who will try to get in while the door is open. I will feel guilty because it IS cold outside, but the cat is obnoxious at 2:00 am, so out he goes.
4. Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka is awfully good.
5. On a much more serious note, I have been thinking quite a bit about Amy's recent post (over at Epiphany Springs) about suffering. Not that I want suffering -- on the contrary, I tend to run away from even the thought of it. I found the idea of suffering increasing our love for God, however, to be humbling. If nothing else, it has enabled me to thank Him for the minor inconveniences of the day.
6. KMart will be having their "double coupon" deal going on this weekend, starting November 30th. They will double coupons up to $2!
7. There is no #7. It's after 1 am and I need to get to bed.