Saturday, September 13, 2008

Feeling much less stressed

...this evening. Grace is still having a rough time of it, but she went down around 9:45 PM (thank God!)

When I can remove myself emotionally from the stressful situation, I can be thankful and even honored that *I* am the one she wants to be with when she is in pain. Isn't that the way it always is? I mean, there's just something special about having your Mom there when you're hurt, or sick, or distressed, or whatever.

And as unbelievable as it may be to me, *I* am that person to these sweet little faces in the picture above. *I* am the one they want to have around when they're not feeling good... or are depressed... or are in pain.

For better or worse, it's me.

[That's not saying anything bad about my husband. He is the most incredible man I have ever known, and a splendiferous husband and Daddy. It's just embedded in the human psyche, it seems, to turn to your mother when you're needing comfort]

The hard part is when they realize that I can't cure every hurt, or give them every comfort that they need. As much as I'd like to be able to, I can't. Ultimately, the one they need is God. Grace learned a small lesson in that last night (and all day today) as she writhed around in my arms, desperately seeking comfort, and yet not getting exactly what she thought I could give her. While I could still meet most of her needs, there was something she couldn't get from me, and it made her miserable and restless.

This lesson will repeat itself many times during her lifetime, I'm sure.

I will always be there for you, sweetheart, and I will love you with every ounce of my Mommy heart and soul... but ultimately the one you need is One who loves you even more than I do.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Well said. Thanks for the reminder that we need to point our children toward God as the Ultimate Healer of all our hurts.