Monday, January 21, 2008

Some favorites

My "food photography" abilities are basically nonexistent, so I will offer you this photo (and this recipe) from Cooking Light. It is one of my favorite magazines and this recipe is truly wonderful. Trust me. Make it. Your family will thank you.


Reading Elizabeth Foss' blog is dangerous business. Not only will she inspire the heck out of you with her words of wisdom and incredibly creative homeschooling ideas, she will also point you to all sorts of fun links that you just HAVE to visit, and then you'll find even more wonderful ideas that just make your head spin.

Case in point: 2 Peas in a Bucket.

OK, someone help me.

I am a font junkie.

I held myself back... I really did!... and limited myself to 3 new fonts to play with. (I could easily justify six dollars). And then I started playing. I pulled out some fun scrapbooking paper I bought recently and started redoing all the binders that have bugged me for years, like my recipe binder (here's the new and improved version)



Then I decided to make my own address book. I've got an electronic version, but there's just something about having an actual BOOK that means so much more to me. I go completely nuts in stationery stores, oohing and aahing over paper, journals, address books, etc. However, it isn't very often that I find one that has everything I want in it, in a font that I find attractive, etc etc etc. So, I decided to whip up one this weekend and play with it.


Here's the inside, and you'll just have to forgive the horrible picture. For some reason, the flash makes everything look horrible, so I have to go for the no flash mode, and it comes out blurry.


It's still very much a "work-in-progress." I've got tabs for websites, dates to remember, gift ideas, Christmas card lists, etc.

I'm toying with the idea of taking it down to the printer and having them spiral bind the final product, but then I'm left with the problem of not being able to replace pages if (gasp!) a mistake is made, or someone moves, or whatever. Or if I have to put someone in and they are out of alphabetical order. Grrr. Hate that.

[If you want to know how flaky I can really be, I'll confess that in high school, if I made ANY mistake while taking notes, I would TEAR. OUT. THE. PAGE. and start over. Yes, I really would. Now you can see a bit of why living in a small house with a LOT of chaos and visual clutter in the form of children's stuff just drives me NUTS!]

But the point of this post is not to highlight my flakiness (however amusing that might be!), but to direct your attention to some fun sites. I hope you have as much fun browsing as I did!

3 comments:

Sweetness and Light said...

Ouiz, they are beautious :)

Margaret said...

Ouiz -
Would you like the photo from Thanksgiving of the half-eaten (yummy) cheeseball that SuburbanCowBoy took? j/k :)

Love the fonts, love the books. And glad to know that if I ditch my Palm Zire, I *could* go back to a paper version. (did you ever consider a 'Calvin & Hobbes' font?)

Ouiz said...

The problem with my iPAQ is that I have lost battery power before, and my entire address book was lost. I was so sad... and I learned then to have PAPER back up.