Thursday, January 31, 2008

Creativity runs amok

This is Samson.

I know, I know, you wouldn't have been able to tell if I hadn't told you, but now that I have, you can *kinda* see where he was going with this... the jeans for the long hair... the sweatshirt (with sleeves flapping by his side) for a robe, etc...

I gotta hand it to Christopher.

All my kids have that love for creativity, but he's really been working overtime this week. Two nights ago he was hard at work in the carport, banging nails into scrap pieces of wood. The next morning he woke up and ran to the table and started at his project again (not even bothering with breakfast... he was a man on a mission).



Getting the fork into the mouth just right...


And voila! Two paper people eating dinner at a table! (you really need to blow this one up to full size to get the proper effect)


What I failed to photograph, however, was the final scene. He made trees, bushes, and a few rocks out of paper, taped them to the table so they would stand up, and placed his table and chairs in the middle of it -- a little dining al fresco tableau.

All of this thrills me to no end because this is the sort of thing *I* did when I was a kid. I was constantly "making stuff" out of paper, fabric, old boxes, cups, etc. I found uses for all sorts of things, and my parents were gracious enough to display my masterpieces. It gave me such a joy and feeling of pride to create something to display, and I hope that I can give my kids the same opportunity.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Ok, that's enough. Stop giving me more reasons to think about homeschooling!!!! :)

We got the Nashville Dominicans, for cryin' out loud!

Sweetness and Light said...

Adorable!! I once made an entire candy shop out of paper :))) (not recently, like 40 years ago or so)

Lisa said...

This is hysterical! I love it! What a creative fellow!

Terri said...

I know this is way late. I'm behind on my blog reading, but I wanted to let you know that I feel the same way about my children's creative endeavors.

Ouiz said...

Isn't it wonderful to watch our kids take such pride in their creations?