Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pockets of glow, part 2

Many thanks to Meredith over at Sweetness and Light, who kindly shared the beautiful "pocket of glow" that she has at her home!

As a stay-at-home Mommy, I have come to appreciate more and more the need for these quiet places in our homes where WE can stop for a moment, recouperate from the stresses of the day, spend a quiet moment with the Lord, and not be quite so... assaulted... by the visual clutter that is strewn about by our kids.

What I have also noticed is that my children -- even though they are the ones who make the messes! -- gravitate towards those places in our home that are peaceful and less visually assaulting as well. I will often find one of my girls sitting in the chair next to the radio, for example, with a clipboard in hand, quietly drawing.

My goal is to have places like this all over our house where the kids can retreat, be quiet, read, think, and not have to deal with the constant chaos around here (and with our humble little abode, that will be somewhat of a challenge...)

1 comment:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Do you have any suggestions for how to do that? And more particularly, how to keep them from becoming one more area of clutter/chaos? I feel like I live in chaos central, and I only have two children (one is a toddler boy, which may explain it). :) I do my best to keep on top of everything, but it is hard! So the idea of peaceful places in the house sounds fantastic - I just don't know how to keep them peaceful. Ideas would be greatly appreciated!