Friday, June 01, 2007

Today's reading

Now will I praise those godly men,
our ancestors, each in his own time.
But of others there is no memory,
for when they ceased, they ceased.
And they are as though they had not lived,
they and their children after them.
Yet these also were godly men
whose virtues have not been forgotten;
Their wealth remains in their families,
their heritage with their descendants;
Through God’s covenant with them their family endures,
their posterity, for their sake.

And for all time their progeny will endure,
their glory will never be blotted out.

Sirach 44:1, 9-13


I doubt very much that I will be remembered by "the world" when I die. No one will tell stories to their children, asking them to emulate my heroism or virtue. I will be unknown to all except my small group of family and friends...

AND YET, whatever holiness and virtue my husband and I attain in this life will remain in our family, passed down to our children. The spiritual "wealth," as it were, will continue to bless our children and our descendants.

Praise God!

No comments: