Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another wonderful quote:

... from the book I Believe in Love by Father Jean C.J. d'Elbee

"I want to put you on guard right now against the danger of sensible love.

How often I have heard the objection, 'I tell Jesus that I love Him, but I don't feel it. It seems to me that I'm not being sincere.' Not to doubt that you love Him when you feel cold and arid demands great faith, the forgetting of yourself, and a true understanding of sanctity.

The greatest saints passed through the dark night of the soul, painful periods of dryness. Yet in those hours of purification they loved.

Love is not sensible piety. Never forget this distinction.

Holiness is a disposition of the soul, of the heart, and, above all, of the will, toward God; the senses may play a role, but that is not necessary.

1 comment:

Ouiz said...

I know what you mean! I came pretty close to highlighting all of MERE CHRISTIANITY...

This book came highly recommended, and although I just started reading it, I can see why people think so highly of it.

I'm sure I'll be posting more quotes from it (very soon, in fact... I was just reading ahead and seeing more that I need to write down)