Friday, July 28, 2006

Movie night

I was sitting at my computer, wanting to catch up on some blogging, when my dh calls from the other room: "Honey -- I think you might want to watch this movie!" Not wanting to pass up time with my beloved, and knowing that HE knows my taste in movies, I stopped what I was doing and went into the living room.

I am SO glad I did.

We just watched the movie HERO.

Let me state for the record that I am not a "martial arts movie" sort of person. Not even close. But in this instance, it just doesn't matter. This is, hands down, one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. I wish I had had the opportunity to see it on the "big screen," because I'm sure it would have blown me away. The cinematography is just stunning.

Amazing.
Unbelievable.
Really.

It was truly that good.

Turns out it was directed by Zhang Yimou, who also directed (another Chez Ouiz favorite) RAISE THE RED LANTERN.

Now, usually when we watch a Chinese film, we find that the visuals are stunning, the plot is fairly decent to just so-so, and someone, somewhere, at some time in the movie, decides to regale us with Chinese opera (that is truly scary stuff!)

HERO, however, had everything going for it -- beautiful film, good plot, and NO Chinese opera!!

Many thanks to my beloved dh for bringing home a great film!

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

This is one of my very favorite movies. Althought I like Asian movies I ususally like the "little" movies not the grand ones, but this is worth it in every way.

It is so full of imagery through color and use of nature. Something that we have taken to doing when we find fellow fans is asking what image comes to mind first when they think of the movie. For me it is the green fabric in the throne room that all comes down. For one daughter it is the rain during the first fight. For another it is the scene with all the arrows coming at the two who are fighting them off with their bare hands. An interesting exercise and one that shows how much the movie has in it.

Ouiz said...

Oh wow! Thanks for reading my post! I visit your blog every day.

Getting to your question: when I think of this movie, the first thing that comes to mind is the sword fight in the swirling leaves, followed closely by the rain during the first fight.

It's hard to pick out just one thing, though. The whole movie was just so visually stunning!!