Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Feeling much better

Ah, it's wonderful to rejoin the land of the living! Amazing how easy it is to take good health for granted... and how shocking it always is to feel so lousy!

I'm slowly getting my house back in order. Yes, my dh did help tremendously, so I'm not doing this by myself! My kids also did a pretty decent job of keeping their rooms "clean," so I'm not completely snowed under.

I'm still praying that I will do a better job of "travelling light," and that I will learn to BE CONTENT. It's so easy to wallow in pity and complain that we have no space, but that just serves no purpose.

I was thinking this morning about the Israelites. When they first got to the Promised Land, the Lord told them that they would have to fight for it, and that they would only get a little bit at a time -- otherwise it would be too much for them, and wild animals would take over.

"But I will not drive out them [the Canaanites and Hittites] in a single year, beacuse the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you. Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land." Exodus 23:29

I'm sure this is a rather strange interpretation of said passage (could it have been the fumes from the bathroom cleaner??), but I got to thinking: I can't handle the mess with the house I have NOW (well, I keep it clean, but it's a major struggle). My kids are all very small (6 kids 8 and under), so trying to tackle deep cleaning a larger house -- on top of everything else -- would just be too much. The "wild animals" (dustbunnies, perhaps?) would truly be too numerous for me.

The Lord doesn't promise anyone a mansion, or that our lives will be just like those around us, but He does promise to take care of all our needs. And He has. We have never gone without a meal, never been without clothes or a place to sleep, and never lost all our possessions. I have to believe that IF I need more space, when the time is right, He will provide that too... Until then, I need to be content. To just rest in Him, and not worry about what others have.

No comments: