Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Christopher is reading!


My 3 yr old (almost 4) started reading on Monday. He had watched me with Kathryn as we went over her reading lessons, and after she was finished, he said that he wanted to try. So, I put him on my lap and, as I've done with his three older siblings, we read the first lesson of "Teaching Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons." Then the second lesson... then the third... and on he went. He sailed through the first 12 lessons, reading words such as seat, mat, sad, am, etc. After the seventh lesson, he looked up at me, gave me an impish smile, and boasted, "I'm really good at this!"

Yes you are, babe. Yes you are.

And, in typical Christopher fashion, he started instructing his younger brother, Thomas, on the fine art of reading. Call it a fluke if you will, but Thomas then successfully read the word "eat."

Reading is such a wonderful part of my life -- a huge part, actually -- and it thrills me to no end to be able to look at my older children and say that *I* taught them to read. Homeschooling can be rough at times, and there are no awards given in recognition of a "job well done," but that really doesn't matter.

I've taught my children to read.

No comments: