Sunday, June 12, 2011

I'm Ba-ack!

Subtitled: HAPPY FEAST OF PENTECOST!

I got back late yesterday evening (actually, early this morning) from the Immaculate Heart of Mary Homeschooling Conference up in Virginia. What a trip! We had two hailstorms on the way up, and rain on the way back down. Wow...

I'm glad I had a chance to go, and I'm so thankful to be back home!

I wish I could say that the conference was AMAZING, but unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment. The speakers were good, but the conference didn't have as much in the way of talks geared toward homeschoolers as I would have liked. I would have liked to see talks on teaching high school... or better ways to teach math... or ways to do nature journaling, or copywork, or whatever. I really need talks like that to inspire me as I get ready to sit down and P-L-A-N for the year. I am facing a whole new set of challenges this year (who isn't?) and I need all the help and encouragement I can possibly get!

Coming back home, I figured the best thing I could do was start small and start with what I know... so we made a yummy dessert for the Feast of Pentecost, and talked about the birthday of the Church.

I'm never going to win the award for "uber-Catholic Mom," and that's perfectly fine with me. That's not what I'm going for. If I took one thing away from this conference, it was a reminder again of the solemn charge that my husband and I have been given to raise our children for the Lord. And in OUR house, that goes hand in hand with yummy desserts and fun conversations as we mix the batter together.

I hope your Feast Day was as enjoyable as ours was!

Now on to tomorrow, and the Feast of our patron saint here at Chez Ouiz... ST. ANTHONY!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Glad you had a good time!
I love St Anthony too. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're ba-ack!! You were missed!

Jen Raiche said...

Often, being "uber-Catholic Mom" is simply nourishing our children. Afterall, how much catechism can be learned on an empty stomach? ;-)

God bless your baking! The kiddos will remember that fondly for the rest of their lives.

Ouiz said...

Thank you, Beth and Malia! It's nice to be back!

Thank you, Jen, for the encouragement! You're right... a little baking goes a loooooooong way!