Monday, September 20, 2010

Review: What Ticks You Off

I received a copy of What Ticks You Off (and How to Deal with It) months ago... listened to it right away... and then forgot to write the review during the last months of my pregnancy.

Boo. Bad reviewer.

BUT... seeing as I had the opportunity to go out shopping this past Saturday BY MYSELF, I took this CD with me and listened to it again.

In a nutshell, this is a great CD!

Jeff Cavins takes a passage from the epistle of  James (4:1-10) and uses it to show why we get angry, why we let it escalate, and what we need to do about it.  By allowing our needs, our desires, and our comfort to take top place in our lives, we find ourselves getting angry and bitter when those needs aren't met by those we live with every day. Ultimately, we must remember that we are trying to fill that place in our hearts that only God can fill -- and by doing so, we set ourselves up for misery and failure.

I must confess, this struck a chord with me as I have been doing more than my fair share of whining lately. It's easy to have a list of things that I'd like to accomplish during the day; what's difficult is actually accomplishing much on that list with a newborn in my arms. I let my desire for computer time, or reading, or getting time ALONE to become paramount and I get so frustrated when I am surrounded by little ones and their needs.

Time alone is fine. So is reading and spending time on the computer. The problem arises when I make that more important than the children we have been given to raise. When I don't have that sort of expectation, I find that the day goes much, much smoother.

May I always try to keep my priorities in order!

This is an official review for the Catholic Company.

No comments: