Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Catholic Company Review: Miracles, Healing for a Broken World

I really wanted to like this book. Honestly, I did.

There's nothing I like better than curling up with an uplifting "look what the Lord has done for me" sort of book... you know, the sort of miracle stories that stick with you when you're feeling depressed and give you just that bit of encouragement that you needed.

Unfortunately, this isn't that book.

It's not bad, necessarily, but it's not good either. In the introduction Fr. Stefan Starzynski says that his collaborator had a very difficult job to do, because he tended to jump around and flit from subject to subject. That was definitely part of the problem here. Reading this book was like listening to an older relative rambling on as he tells war stories, but without the cohesiveness needed to make the stories gripping and riveting.

There were also several sections of the book dealing with material needs that I don't feel were explained well at all, and I found myself feeling like I was watching TBN. I could almost swear I heard Janis Joplin singing in the background:

"Oh Lord, won't You buy me
A Mercedes-Benz..."

While I am thrilled that Father Starzynski has been called to serve the Body of Christ in this way, and has blessed the lives of so many around him, this book does not do his ministry justice.

This is a review for the Catholic Company.

No comments: