Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm not turning anti-social!

I just can't figure out WHY blogger decided to stop notifying me of comments posted on my blog. So, in an effort to make sure that no comment gets unnoticed... and no one feels unappreciated when they graciously took the time to stop by and write something.... I am putting comments on "waiting for moderator approval." Hopefully THEN at least I'll know that someone left a comment, and I can respond quickly!

So, please be patient while I try to figure this out. In the meantime, I'll try to check FREQUENTLY for comments.


In the meantime, please continue to leave any and all great ideas for homemade food!

In our house, I make a lot of our own bread, and I do grind my own wheat. (Suburban Cowgirl, you'd love it!) That one change alone made me want to cook more from scratch for my family!

I also make salsa and pico de gallo... my own spaghetti sauce... granola... cookies... brownies... hot chocolate mix... and other things like that. I haven't made a huge lifestyle change, but I do try to make more things from scratch than not. I have not, however, crossed the line and made my own yogurt or pasta (hey there, Malia!), and I have not wandered into that sacred zone of "making my own crescent rolls," as she does on a regular basis. (they take SIX HOURS to make!!!)

I also make my own laundry detergent and cleaning products. Vinegar, baking soda, and tea tree oil truly do work wonders when you're cleaning up around the house.

But, I'm still buying crackers... and cereal... and too many things to mention that are filled with high-fructose corn syrup and a whole host of other ingredients that I'd probably rather not be feeding my children. We eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and don't ever buy soda, but sadly I can't say that we "eat healthy."


I do have to share one funny story: I was reading Martha Stewart Living and stumbled across a recipe for pudding. I was flabbergasted... I had no idea anyone could make pudding from scratch! (sad, I know...) So, I whipped up my first batch and was so pleased with myself that I called my mom and proudly announced, "Mom! Guess what I just did!!! I made pudding! Look what mine hands hath wrought!" Needless to say, she was less than amazed. I tried to explain that no, this wasn't BOXED pudding, it was REAL pudding... still, the amazement just wasn't there.

Oh well. If I'm ever on a deserted island and have no access to a grocery store (and yet miraculously have all the fixins' on hand), never you fret. This chick can whip up a batch of pudding.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

You know, I made chocolate pudding from scratch too. Pretty easy, actually, since I *did* have all the ingredients on hand. In fact, I think the ONLY time I buy pudding mix in a box is when I bake Sheila Cake (which is like, once a year, maybe). Does the DH remember Sheila Cake? yum yum yum.

Amber said...

Probably the best way to go about thinking about this is to look at what you buy that has HFCS and whatever else you don't want to feed your family, rather than looking at what you do make. If you can make a list of what you buy that you're not happy with, then you can start evaluating if you can make a better version at home, substitute something else for it, or just put up with it because it can't go out of the family diet at this point for whatever reason.

But that's great that you're making as much as you do! I haven't done any homemade cleaning products - it is something I've thought about experimenting with (beyond baking soda in the toilet and vinegar w/ water for cleaning windows), but haven't gotten around to doing.