Monday, January 05, 2009

Book Review: WORDS TO LIVE BY

Yep. Another book review (can you see how we passed the time around here when we were all so sick? Kind of a luxury, now that I think of it... *grin*)

I wish I could do this book ample justice, but it's late, and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get my thoughts down "on paper," so to speak... so a short review will have to suffice.

I picked up Words to Live By: A Guide for the Merely Christian (C. S. Lewis) as a gift for someone else but, after flipping through it, decided I couldn't bear to part with it. (yes, I've already admitted this horrible sin and my friend was most gracious...)

I mean... it's C.S. Lewis! Does it get any better than that?

In my mind, it does not.

I cannot pick up anything written by him without being totally amazed at how skilfully he commanded the English language. He was an incredible teacher and storyteller, and was able to take the most difficult of ideas, distill them down to a more manageable concept, and then support and explain them by way of examples that are not soon forgotten. 

This book is divided into sections from A-Z, covering topics from Almsgiving to Zeal. There is something in there for everyone, and if you are like me, and keep a quote journal, you may find yourself tempted to write down almost everything!

In short, this is a fantastic book to pick up and read... and reread...

No comments: