Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Book Review: JESUS, PRESENT BEFORE ME


The full title of this book is Jesus, Present Before Me: Meditations for Eucharistic Adoration (by Fr. Peter John Cameron, O.P.)

As the title implies, this is a wonderful book to take to Adoration. It is a small, unassuming little book, filled with 30 meditations -- one for each day of the month -- which give the reader a new way of looking at the Eucharist and the gift that Our Lord has given us. The chapters cover such topics as "The Hunger of the Lord," A Presence We Can Approach," "When We Feel Nothing," "Guests of the Lamb," etc.

Each meditation is only two pages long, and provides thought-provoking questions that can lead to a time of quiet reflection. It is a well-worthwhile purchase, and I will definitely take this book with me when I get the (rare) opportunity to go to Adoration.

OK, that was the generic description of the book... now for the specifics.

I found myself... haunted, almost... by a statement that the author uses several times in these meditations: We were made for this Presence. Each time I read that I shook my head with wonder: Do I believe that? The Eucharist is called the Source and Summit of our faith. Do I allow that reality to sink in? Too often, I must admit that I forget. However, after having read this book, I walked into our chapel last Friday (for First Friday Adoration) and the thought came back loud and clear:

I was made for this Presence.

Just that reminder lifted me out of the rather deep depression and despair I was in last week after the election. All I had been able to see was evil... and darkness... and fear. While I didn't necessarily "feel" anything as I entered our little chapel, just being in His presence caused the darkness to lift and reminded me that there is a much greater reality than just the little piddly things I see and fret over each day.

I was made for Him, and there He is.





This review was written as part of the Catholic Company Official Reviewer program.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

yes.


(and a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!)