Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Panic attack, part 2

Yes, I am still dealing with this, and in fact spent most of the evening crying, praying, and running outside in an effort to not feel so "closed in."

Get this -- I couldn't even take a drink from a glass, because my face felt too "confined." (yes, I had to drink through a straw)

I know that panic attacks are common, but that doesn't stop me from feeling like an absolute freak at this moment.

I called the doctor and he prescribed some medicine for me, but after reading all the warnings that came with it, I opted to just put that on the counter for now.

Anyone ever used Ativan?

5 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I passed on the prescription drugs too! Get some relaxation tapes to listen. Dr. Frank Lawlis' (sp?) general relaxation CD is good. Try to distract yourself. Get some exercise. I know...impossible after just having a baby by C-section, but exercise does help balance the brain chemicals! Drink tons of water. Actually, drinking cool water has been shown to lower anxiety levels! Deep breaths are also calming and relax the muscles. Talk, talk, talk to people you trust!

Praying for you dear lady!

AnchorMama said...

Oh honey, you are in my prayers! Panic attacks (I get them too)are the worst!
I pray you get relief SOON!

Jo Jo said...

You should update your personal profile. You are NOT the mother of 6 children anymore.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

This is a site I use to look up meds:
http://www.whatmeds.com/meds/lorazepam.html

It says Ativan is not for nursing moms and may be addictive, so take that into account if you need it!

BTW, you might try Inositol for anxiety. It comes from B vitamins, and is safe - you can get it at Vitamin Shoppe. I use that for my Bipolar son and know lots of other Mamas and kids who swear by it. Hope you feel better soon!

Cay Gibson said...

(((HUGS))), honey.
I've suffered from panic attacks in the past. They are NOT fun. :(
Cay G.