Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus

"Propter quod et Deus illum exaltavit et donavit illi nomen super omne nomen: Ut in nomine Iesu omne genu flectat caelestium et terrestrium et infernorum: Et omnis lingua confiteatur quia Dominus Iesus Christus in gloria est Dei Patris."

"For which cause, God also hath exalted him and hath given him a name which is above all names: That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

--Philippians 2:9-11




I gotta admit, this is a new one for me. I don't ever recall hearing of this feast day before, but that should come as no surprise -- there are a LOT of feast days I've never noticed before. I also did not know that the whole month of January is dedicated to the Holy Name of Jesus.

Catholic Culture on-line is a wonderful source of information on celebrating the liturgical year, and this article and this one have several good ideas.

I especially like the reminder to teach our children reverence for the name of Jesus by "bowing our heads whenever we hear His name being said, and to make prayers of reparation to Him whenever we hear His name taken in vain." There are still some folks of the "older generation" who have this ingrained in them as a habit, and it thrills my heart every time I see it in Mass. Perhaps this will be a good time for Mom to develop a new habit...

No comments: