Sunday, June 25, 2006

Father Elijah

I just finished my 15th book of the year. Father Elijah, by Michael O'Brien, was a decent read. Not fantastic, but not abysmal either. After slogging through many apocalyptic novels in the past, this was refreshingly and unashamedly Catholic in its theology and in the actions of the characters. For that, I am grateful.

My complaint with this book, like many other Catholic/Christian novels, is that the authors just try too hard. Under the pretext of teaching a class, or explaining something to another character, they give these long, convoluted explanations of the Faith. I understand (or assume) that the authors are trying to teach their readers, but it sets up a huge wall between me and the novel I'm reading.

I want to get into the story and get lost in it... not be hit over the head every few pages by not-so-subtle proselytizing. I feel like I'm being shouted at.

So, all in all, I'd give it 3.5 stars (out of 5).

No comments: